Thursday, January 31, 2013

My CQJP2113 January Block

I am so thrilled to finally have my block for the 2013 Crazy Quilt Journal Page.


I would like to thank Susan who ordered a crazy quilted pincushion from me. Actually, this is her second from my Etsy Shop. She gives me complete freedom to play. In fact, I had too many ideas for this block so I ended up giving her 5 ideas and then 2 nearly completed blocks to choose from. We finally ended up with these pretty jewel tone rose fabrics. I included some rich hand-dyed silk velvets. I used mainly DMC cotton floss for the embroidery. I added some pretty vintage crochet pieces, a variety of woven trims and then added vintage buttons and some pretty beads to give it a little sparkle.

Here is how the actual pincushion came out. I can't wait for her to see it!



If you would like to order your own Crazy Quilt Pincushion. I have a gift certificate for a "Design Your Own Crazy Quilt" pincushion in my Etsy Shop Fiberluscious.



You can buy one for a friend. I'll send you a pretty card with instructions on the collaborative process, or if its for you, we can just dive into making something uniquely your own. I'll send you images of fabric choices in the style and colors you like most. I also have a Design Your Own Tomato Pincushion and a Design Your Own Flowers on Linen pincushion. I really enjoy working with others. It always inspires something I would never think of and I am driven to reach a bit beyond my comfort zone so you end up with a bit of two creative hearts.

I've been working so hard on my Crazy Quilting skills. My desire to create Crazy Quilts inspired me to learn embroidery. It's so much more than learning stitches. Its knowing which thread to use to achieve the effect you want. Its knowing what stitch works where. It's knowing what colors to use on which fabrics. Its being brave enough to take chances so that your work is unique. I still have so very much to learn.

But I think that learning involves discipline. Its practice, practice and more practice. And once you think you have a stitch in your head, its making your hands work on it long after your fingers are calloused and your wrists ache. The best thing about learning a craft like embroidery, or quilting or any other technique, its the joy you feel in creating and the pride you feel when you finally reach each goal you set out to achieve. Nothing can replace feeling that you and only you are responsible for bringing something beautiful to completion.

When we share our works with others, it becomes something bigger. It is the continuation of hundreds of years of tradition. Even though we create alone, we are always a part of a family of beauty. We learn from each other. Our work awakens the desire to create in someone else. They in turn take that craft into their heart and mind and bring forth their unique vision. They then inspire someone else and as we pass on beauty, our world becomes more beautiful.


I really am really happy to see a site such as the Crazy Quilt Journal Page. I have studied and admired the work created by the artists who feature their crazy quilts with all of us. You all are my inspiration. I thank them for their generous and creative spirits. I hope that some day, my work will rise to that level of expertise. In the meantime, I will simply enjoy striving towards my own creative possibilities.

If are participating in the CQJP project, please feel free to leave a link to your blog or website. I would love to connect!

See you in February!

8 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

This crazy quilt pincushion is so pretty! I love it!

What you said at the end of the post about creativity and learning was great. So true and very well said.

Happy creating! :-)

Bev said...

Your crazies are so gorgeous! Love them!

Cheery wave!

Bev

Createology said...

This bright cheery CQ pincushion is delicious. The colors and embellishments are lovely. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

margaret said...

what a lovely pin cushion but where is your CQJP block or is the pin cushion the block? I am also partaking in the challenge, january finished and on the blog and will start february this weekend. Lots to read in your blog today, very interesting

Anonymous said...

Your crazy quilting is stunning I love all of the stitches and embellishments, I have done a little crazy patch before and at the moment I am working on a crazy patch heart cushion, what you say is very true, practice makes perfect!

Katherine McNeese said...

I'm tagging your blog for the "Liebster Award".

Katherirne
http://blueheronquilts2.blogspot.com/

Fiberluscious said...

Thank you for all your kind words.
Margaret, the block became the pincushion.
Katherine- I'm honored that you have tagged me for the Liebster Award. I'll post about it soon. I love the spirit behind it. thanks so much!

Renee said...

Your block is lovely! And, I just added a pincushion to my mental list of future projects. Yours is gorgeous.

This is my first year participating in the CQJP 2013. I love all the eye candy and look forward to seeing more of yours.

Renee
http://monkeyandmutt.blogspot.com/